Records for move date: Aug 20 2012
[Posted a little late on Aug 22] I woke up early in 5:45 to touch up my study—there are still
several boxes to be closed (for last-minute computing equipments, office
supplies, and needed documents). Also, boxes haven’t been packed up in tiny
blue car yet, so T and I spent almost an hour to pack it up. It contains:
scanner, printer, hard drives, my new beige bag, old carry-around wheeled black
suitcase, plus T’s cats and fish tank, along with many boxes of fragile kitchen
items.
I said goodby to T and left home at 7:30am. Yes, this is my
house that I has spent 2 years with. By by, PA. By by my house.
The weather on the road
has changed a lot: first cloudy, rainy
if not down-pour later, upon arriving sunny.
Luckily I arrived shortly before the management office of
the apartment closed around 2:45pm. I got the key and inspected the
inventory---for an apartment this one has pretty good appliance—which the
management is proud of. Contract was signed and checks (bank cashier version)
were given. Later I managed to stop by a
grocery nearby for some ready food for family members who will arrive later. Food
prices in NY are much higher than PA! Downpour again when I exited the grocery.
When returning the apartment I saw J’s truck skidding in the driveway, this is
about 5:45pm.
Then it’s a laborious endeavor between J and I to move all
stuffs into the new apartments. I cannot imagine why our stuff has filled this
16-foot truck. During the process it downpoured again, and we had to stop. After
almost three hours’ of efforts all boxes, items, and bed/boxspring were finally
in!
During the process T called asking the route to drive—early I
told her though mountain-path was shorter, she may consider to drive a little
farther to avoid the strenuous roads in the mountains. Now she updated that it’ll
increase the time to 30 minutes. With it was getting dark, I replied okay,
suggesting her to just follow GPS. Soon later, she called again to report that
I-87 (the toll through way on the west bank of the Hudson River) was closed for
unknown reason, and she needed to detour. Alas—so many unpredictable situations.
Finally, T, A , and Taikun arrived in good shape!
Then I returned J to NYC by dropping him at Poughkeepsie Amtrak
station. It’s quite a drive: the NY roads have a lot curves and lanes are
narrower. Not to mention the traffic is fast—so I’d say driving here is more
dangerous and stressful than in PA.
After returning home
it’s almost midnight—roughly 18 hours after waking up this morning. Time to hit
the sack. Luckily it is a smooth move. There are still more things to finish
next day—including returning the 16-foot truck. It needs to be fueled also.
This will be a thrilling experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment