Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 6: Almost there

We arrived at NY very late yesterday and I was totally exhausted. After checking in, I went straight to bed. The weather condition was terribly bad when we were on the road. The rain poured like crazy, we couldn't see anything in front or hear each other's word. We drove at 45 mph when the speed limit was 65. Although GPS said we should have arrived at 12:15, we arrived one hour late.

The weather was still bad: we had to take a deep breath before we took off from the car and run into rain.We saw 7 rental today, starting with the most expansive one. It  was actually very typical: the property comes with beautiful clubhouse and swimming pool, but the square footage of the room is very small. The next one is similar but much more kid- friendly. All these rentals have pros and cons. I like one by the lake shore the most as it is a very private house with beautiful view and playground. I can actually picture myself living there for a longer term. However, the lady told me she needs manager's approval for a short-term lease. What a disappointment! I guess unless miracle happens, we'll go for the other one that is a semi-new construction with a very well maintained yard.

We also saw a very large apartment complex with a beautiful pond and garden-like yard. It will be great for Leonard for a walk in the evening or weekend. However, there are shops on-site and I saw a lot of young people hanging out there. Considering today is Friday, I really wonder why they don't have to work or be in school. If there were a lot of drop-out kids hanging around the area, is it a safe community for my family? I then realize the reason I was thinking about this is because those kids are not Caucasian.  It is such a sad truth, I am people of color and I myself cannot avoid being stereotype. I wonder if others feel the same way when they saw me.

As before, house hunting is fun but very tiring. When I called home and told Annie we might have to move on the 27 instead of 20, she started to get mad. She said Jeff already rent the car and we are wishy washy and always change our mind. We had 4 months to prepare and ended up not moving into our home. After a very tiring day, I was mad as well. The reason I want to postpone the moving date is because I want to have a nice place for her and Leonard to stay. We can afford the most expansive apartment but the room is so small for her. The second largest one is nice as well but does not have A/C at her room. She could not drive and most of time stay at home so we feel a nice size living room will be great. I just don't understand why we were to blame. Anyway, I felt my life is torn between her value (moving quick/ time is money) and M's value (move slowly/ money is money). Personally, I believe we are not at the point we have to spend money to buy time. Especially, M is the person providing for us and I respect his wish of saving money. Without him saving money throughout the year (starting before we were married), we would not have the foundation we have. We can pay off the house in Erie because he saves all the money he can. He never said a word when I want new shoes, clothes, yarn or craft tools. So, to me, not until we have to, I don't feel we should compromise.

Tiring, soaking, and a fight. Today is a not a good day.

Today in History:

August 10, 2009 is a very plain day. M took photo of our dinner, dumplings made by Annie.


No comments:

Post a Comment