After moving to P, M college became a choice for a
stroll because it is just a few minutes away. Though I have roamed there
several times, I have always hoped to have Taikun joining me, because the open space
is very good for children. In particular, it’s a bit bored to frequent P Park
so much. Not to mention Taikun seems to be very concerned with seeing “people there.”
Today, though it's a late afternoon of a Sunday, I proposed to go outside for a walk and
passed this idea to Taikun. He responded: “hó, lan-lai-ki” (Okay. Let’s go). After leaving the house, I asked
him where to go—“li beh ki kū e kong-hn̂, ah-sī beh ki Sin e kong-hn̂g”? (Do you want to go the old park, or, the new
one park?). Somehow he replied “ū lâng !” (people there!), meaning his reluctance to go to the
usual place (Pulaski Park) already [he was afraid of it being already] occupied
by other people.
On the way to M college, Taikun stopped a lot of
times to play with the grass and plants roadside. He also picked a lot fallen
branches, exciting about his findings. All of sudden, he said slowly but clearly,
“góa ē kôa” (Papa I feel cold). I bent down, checking what’s going on.
Despite sunshine, it was actually pretty cool. The traffic was busy on the
street, and it was some distance from home for getting back some clothes. Well,
what to do? The only extra piece I could give him was a thin sweater. I decided to put it on him—of course it was
way too big, but it appeared to somehow functional when I rolled up overly-long
sleeves for him.
Finally, we managed to arrive the campus. Two
structures attracted his attention—a footbridge, followed by an underpass
tunnel beneath Route 9. I then
verbalized what we were doing when crossing the bridge, “ Lan ji-ma le kiâⁿ kiô” (we are walking on the bridge now). When crossing, I kept
mentioning to him, “Lan ji ma le kiâⁿ pōng-khang o” (we are now walking in the tunnel). He appeared to
be very interested, showing a smile on his face, listening to unique echo
between our conversations. He looked so cute when concentrating on stepping on cobblestone pavement inside the tunnel. There were a lot
students (“ū lâng!”) while some of them were riding skateboards. He was a
bit scared as I sensed his withdrawn. But soon he appeared to get used to the
strangers and was able to enjoy walking on the cobblestones again.
This was the first time he visited M college. Taikun
then started to explore the campus with me for quite a while. He was curious
looking at everywhere—sometimes it’s the jetplane and the linear cloud behind
it, and sometimes it was the difference between the sidewalk and the road where
he could tell the pavement was different. He then asked to hold my hand walking
from the sidewalk on one side of the road to another, since we had warned him to
not cross the road on his own—his hand needs to be held at all times. He also spotted water—the Hudson River
ahead, and announced proudly, “chúi” (Water!) He was so verbal now!
When we arrived at a big lawn, he relaxed
and started to explore this new place on his own. He lay and rolled on the ground, with the
stick (simply a thick branch he just collected) in hand. He set foot on the grass and glanced around. I was so touched by his playful simplicity, and took a lot pictures here.
Taikun is careful, if not meticulous. He
tends not to explore at first sight, and needs encouragement often, especially
for anything new, unfamiliar with risk or uncertainty. When I noticed the sun was about to set, I brought
him back. He insisted to walk a different path from the one we took coming here—this
time, through the outdoor steps made of stone. He then climbed several flights
(of course, with my counting numbers aside to help him memorizing numbers)
first. And then I encouraged to walk on the side-stone, which was actually
pretty steep for him. He first looked scared and reluctant, before I demonstrated
to him by walking on it first. He also tried—but needing me to hold his hand for
more confidence. Finally, he finished three flights of the side-stone slope. I
hoorayed for him and he grinned.
After returning home, I felt achieved since there
was always something new worth to be written down whenever taking him out. I
was very happy and content to spend this hour or two with him this way.

No comments:
Post a Comment