When I saw the parents' commitment invitation at our small group leader's house last week, I had a sudden thought of Leonard's faith. M happen to put these photos on the blog, so I guess it meant to be the time for me to bring it up.
Before Leonard was born, I gave very little thought about how should we raise him. We didn't go shopping till I reached 36 weeks and we only ordered the basic furniture: a crib. We were almost unprepared, if not having our friends threw us a baby shower. I was like Annie only pray for his health-- I would not dare to dream how brilliant my baby would be because I was too afraid of disappointed-- what if he was defective?! But I do, somehow, think of raising him as a christian and the thought came to me probably out of a selfish reason: I want my baby to be a happy person-- he will be a happy person if he is always graceful-- even he did not have everything a normal baby has. Luckily, our baby is very healthy and strong-- my sobering thought never became a reality. When Leonard reached full month, we started to bring him to Grace Church.
During the first few times, he was either half asleep or crying-- this reminds me of my little cousin, who was only six-month-old when her mom started to bring her to bible study and church. My uncle is against the idea very much-- partly because he is not a christian-- for a strong and practical reason: his granddaughter couldn't understand a bit about worship or sermon, what's the point of bring a little baby to the gathering? My little cousin's mom, also my cousin, never really gave any defense. She just did what she had being doing-- in a way of quiet and persistent. If I had not known her since we were both young girls, I would have a very different thought. But somehow I understood her faith is very important to her (this is 2002-- I myself did not came to Christ back then). Probably because I had shared part of her journey: during one of the years I attended summer school in San Francisco, we went to visit a temple built by Buddhism together. For me, it was simply a nice trip away from school. For her, it was part of the journey of seeking God-- only she may not know what she was seeking back then. It took her years to find out and she married to a christian family. As a result, there is nothing more nature for her to bring her baby to church. She didn't say much because she does not need to: it is just one right thing to do. After I have my own child, I feel very much the same way.
Today, Leonard reaches his three-month anniversary. When we brought him to church yesterday, he seems enjoy the worship music and the rhythm of pastor's voice very much. As a parent, I can only make attending church being part of his life, but he will have to take his journey of faith on his own. I would like to have Parents Commitment (or declaration) but I guess M would want to leave the choice to Leonard. (I should have make M promise me when I was pregnant, too late!) Doing what I can do, I live in hope. Especially knowing it will be God chooses him, not Leonard chooses God......
Oct 17 2010 (Leonard is just two-month and two-day).
below: Annie and I sat together in Parents Room, which is a room with a large glass window. We can attend the worship without disturbing anyone.
below: this one-year-old little girl comes to see Leonard every time they are at the same room... She is so cute!
below: we visited the nursing room-- Leonard has his own schedule, he was hungry during the worship.
Oct 24 2010 (We gathered in the social hall-- this is the day our new pastor is on board.)
below two: No comment...... I have no doubt Leonard gets his silly smile from Daddy (... sigh).
below: Picture cannot lie. Leonard was enjoying the music!
Nov 14 2010 (One day to three-month)
above/ below: he looks happy, doesn't he? (photos taken in Parents Room.)
below: here she came again-- visiting her little friend?
below: I was listening to pastor's sermon. When pastor started to talk, Leonard became very curious and started to kick-- this a sign he wants to be picking up. I picked him up so that he can see what was happening on the stage.
雖然信仰這種事我個人也是贊成應該讓孩子自己選澤,但父母的影響力還是很大的。從小讓他親近上帝以後就不會陌生啦~
ReplyDeleteP.s.: 你家小子真可愛~~ 長大好多喔!!
是啊,我也是希望如此喔。
ReplyDelete---
養小孩真的是前面一兩個月比較辛苦,幸好他很愛吃又很好睡,滿二個月以後好帶很多就一直長大起來啦。