Friday, July
19 2013
Inspired
by Taikun’s recent first-experiences of water (pool and waterplay at daycare),
T has been thinking about getting him some toys to enjoy at home. After dinner,
we made a trip to Target and bought two items—one plastic slide with water jets
on sides, and one waterhose with tiny protruding nozzles that inject water out
to air.
He loved
them so much, especially for the waterhose. After getting home he couldn’t wait
to get’em and opened them, only being discouraged since it was way too dark to
play outside. “Too late tonight,” we told him to wait until tomorrow.
Saturday,
July 20 2013
Around
8:45am, loud calls from Taikun’s bedroom: “Mama. Mama. Mama. Mama!” T still
with eyes closed, wanted me to check him.
When I pushed the door in, he sat on the bed smiling. “Papa gâu-chá,” he grined. I also followed, “”A-kun ma gâu-chá.” Looked like this will be a good-mood day for him.
While I
was wondering if he remembered the dream water-play items that we didn’t allow
him to open last night, “Goa beh chhit-thô sin-beh e hosu! (I
want to play with the newly-bought hose!)” He has his heart set on them—and
asked for them in the first place right after he wakes up.
“Ai- dan
chia̍h-pn̄g, ([you have to] wait
after the meal.)”
I continued, “Mama e chá-tǹg
chia̍h-pá tio̍h ho
li chhit-thô (After you finish Mama's meal, [I'll let] you to play with it) ”. He was axcious, “Goa beh hosu! (I want hose)” Then he
used a red crab, a bath-toy that would march in the water if its spring is
fastened, to hit me. I protested. “Papa si-le, (Papa sorry)” he continued.
While I showed my displeasure by “crying” on his bed, he hit me again—this time harder. Though it didn’t hurt, to educate him, I immediately left his room, feigning crying.
While I showed my displeasure by “crying” on his bed, he hit me again—this time harder. Though it didn’t hurt, to educate him, I immediately left his room, feigning crying.
Then I overheard he monologed by himself from his bedroom: “Goa phah Papa nn̄g-bai. Papa tio̍h khàu a (I hit Dad twice. Dad then cried.)”. Interesting. Was he apologizing, or he was verbally reviewing what just happened?
At
9:40am, he entered my study, apologizing repetitively: “Papa goa beh go phah
li lo. Si-le (Papa I won’t hit you anymore. Sorry). Papa goa beh go phah li lo.
Papa goa beh go phah li lo. Papa si-le.”
Then he
started to mess up with my desktop items. To show him the correct attitude, I asked
him to look at my eyes when speaking it, “ khòaⁿ gao-e ba̍k-chiu.” He followed,
repeating his apology when looking at my eyes. I accepted his apology and hugged him.
Then
changed his diaper, he repeated, “goa siou-dan go-beh chit-toh goa sin-beh e
gam-a sek e hosu! Yong ga-do ga. (later I want to play the newly-bought, orange-color
waterhose. Use a scissor to cut [the package open.])
T then
opened the box he has dreamed for the entire night. We placed on it on backyard
grass and connected it to the tap. After turning on the tap, water started to
blast from its nozzles. It worked!
The big
moment came: Taikun has waited anxiously in the playroom. “Wow! Waaah!” He
shouted so loudly when we opened the door allowing him to backyard. T then
stepped out to turn on the tap.
When he
walked down the steps to the grass, his prudence prevailed: instead of dashing
to the hose on the grass, he slowly approached it and looked at it. After nearing
and getting wet, he realized the “danger” of the toy and run away many times.
He loved it, returning many times to explore more of it. However, the nozzles
were soft and turned aimlessly when blasting water. I guessed this unpredictability
kept him a distance-- he couldn’t just fully immerse himself in it. Looked like he inherited a conservative mind.
Despite his
resistance, T later held him to get close to the hose, to show him the mechanism
of the waterjets. At first he grumbled in T’s arms reluctant to go. Gradually,
he was willing to near it. Hope he understood how this toy worked.
Quickly
Taikun got soaked and we brought him indoors to. There are still a lot of new
things waiting you to explore.
No comments:
Post a Comment