Thursday, July 4, 2013

Indepedence Day Lessons



July 3

The night before the Independence Day, I was busying setting up my study on the second floor. While moving is being recognized as one of the most stressful events in people’s life, there were a lot things needed to be renewed (say insurances) for the year. Since these chores didn’t go smoothly as expected, I was very fretted. 

At this very time, Taikun entered my study probing items on my desk.  

Getting fussed, I demanded, “No, A-kun, khì. M-thang chhit-thô góa ê mi̍h-kiāⁿ.”(No, A-kun, Go. Don’t play with my stuff.)

He didn’t listen to me, insisting touching more objects, until a computer router finally dropped from my desk.
A big bang triggered my anger. “A-kun,” I growled, “A-KUN!

A silence froze the situation: I was stunned, beginning to realize that was probably the largest volume used in my life.   

He was scared and started to cry. A and T ran upstairs to check what happened, and brought him away.

I could hear him sobbing downstairs when A tried to comfort him--He looked so poor. I was astonished---was I too harsh to him? I started to regret about what I scolded him that way.

After 30 minutes I went downstairs to refill iced tea, and checked remotely how he was doing. He had stopped sobbing, playing on the coach with A.  A helped mediate the situation, encouraging him to apologize.

He then, “Papa sit-lé. Goa beh go chhit-thô    ê chia̍h-thâu-lō ê mi̍h-kiāⁿ lo.” (Dad, sorry. I won’t play with your work stuff any more.)
I was touched. I asked him over, “lâi chia, Papa phō.” (Come here, let papa hug you).  

I knelt down to his height, holding him so tightly for a minute I guessed.

This is my only son, most beloved one. “Papa ài  li o (Papa loves you),” my tears almost dropped.  

He continued, “góa beh go the̍h li ê mi̍h-kiāⁿ lo (I won’t take your stuffs any more)”.

Well, the “father-and-son” episode ended temporarily for the night.

July 4.  Next morning, at 8:30am, I woke up and walked into his room checking him up. He opened eyes,  and automatically continued,  

“Papa gâu-chá. Goa  koh chhit-thô  ê mi̍h-kiāⁿ (Papa good morning. I won’t play your stuffs any more)”

I was a bit surprised---Definitely he was mindful about what learned last night. While I’d say I was content when hearing he said this, I felt he is somehow getting matured, or “socially sophisticated” because of this.

While I am in my study, he came upstairs to call me to breakfast: “góa sī-m̄-sī ē-sái  lip-lâi chò khang-khòe ê só-chāi? Goa  koh theh ê mih-kiāⁿ lo” (Can I enter the place you work? I won’t play your stuffs any more.)

I am happy to allow him in this time. Come to enjoy your Independence Day from my study. 

Night: Brought all family members to see firework on Hudson River. Though official site was at Waryas Park, I chose Kaal Rock Park--a bit southern, but should be much nicer because of less crowd.

Official starting time was about 9:00pm and we arrived KR Park pretty late--around 9pm. However, there were still parking available on the street! Walked about 5 minutes on the streets before entering KR park, only to find most spectators parked their park right inside the park. Gee. 

This location is okay--at least it has the Mid-Hudson Bridge as the background. I should have brought my tripod--at least it'll give better static shot for the family. Because of move, I couldn't find it before departure. (Next time gotta get better prepared.) 

Entire show lasted  about 20 minutes. KR park was a bit distant from the launching location which was on a barge on the Hudson River, and to be honest the size of the firework tended to be on small side, not as impressive as previous firesworks I had seen before. I remembered one year I saw fireworks at the top floor of Prudential Building  in Boston, which was much larger than this. 

Anyway this is the first experience for Taikun---he was a bit scared in the beginning. However, since T's comforting and explanation, he was getting used to it. Taikun has a high perception capability of anything beautiful--he had wowed over good-looking craft in progress when arriving daycare. So I guessed in this first experience despite the firework noise was daunting, he was attracted to it due to their beauty.

Hope he grows a lot with this first experience. A-kun, have a colorful wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment