It was February 03-- three weeks after Leonard starts daycare, I found myself feel uncertain about sending Leonard to Daycare.
Almost just a week after his first day, Leonard got his first cold, and we have to visit ER in the middle of the night. Yes, He got a cold, and it happen to be a bad one caused by rotavirus. People asked me if he was sick because he was sent to daycare. I feel the question is silly-- Maybe, who knows?! I even felt a bit angry about this question because it seems implying we should have make him stay at home, and I should be a stay-at-home-mom.
My justification to this is raising a child is not all about his physical need. Leonard is a (semi-)baby right now. As his mom, I get most familiar with his needs and desire because we were almost together 7/24. But when he grows into a child, he will need more guidance about his life. If I myself is not a person of knowledge and of wisdom, how can I provide any guidance to my child? Before I went to work, my daily conversation with M is all about him, largely about his schedule and then about his lunch box-- does he have class/meeting tomorrow? Yes, then I will get his lunch box ready-- oh, he does not like that sandwiches I made the other day, okay, I get something else. I can image this would soon to be my conversation with Leonard if I stayed at home. After we consult with his pediatrician (specialized in neology and child development), we further believe we should sign up with daycare-- to get Leonard more stimulated by outside sources.
Sending our son to daycare does not mean we care less about him. We understand daycare teachers are trained professionals-- they may not love Leonard as much as we did, but they should take a very good care of him. This thought makes the transition go smoothly-- we were not very drama about his first day. However, I do feel very upset when I caught Leonard sitting in the bombo seat with his underwear. This is the second time of the months, I found they misplace his outfits. The first time, I contributed to it because I put these outfits in his bag instead of cabby-- the teachers only looked in his cabby and their storage cabinet, which is somewhat understandable. The second time is really a major mistake-- I brought in two sets of outfits on Tuesday, and on Thursday, he came home with one of them. The following Tuesday is the day I found him having no clothes to wear-- it seems he actually was changed twice on Thursday, but the second set was placed at another baby's bag. The solid outfits was so ruined that we can not save them-- I was mad not only because his outfit was misplace, but also for he is not getting changed on time.
What is most ridiculous is I got a note from the pink sheet: send-in more diapers. I sent in 30-ish diaper at the first day, and another 60 pieces diapers the second week. How can Leonard ran out of some many diapers! Especially, he is not a full-timer!
I did not say anything at daycare at that day, but I was mad. When I went home, I told Annie what happen and I was going to talk to the director of the daycare. She told me I should take it slowly-- talk to the teacher first, if things are not getting better, then bring it up to the ladder. I was still mad-- the next day, I sought advice from coworkers, as they are actually running a school in special education. They and my friends in church told me the same thing-- go talk to the teacher, and then bring it to the admin if things does not get improve.
I decide to follow their advice.
What seems to be odd is that Sunday seems more peaceful than usual-- I got a lot rest, and feel ready to talk to the teacher.
When I went in talk to the teacher, I have a note ready in my pocket. I did not give it to the teacher because I found she already figure out a lot of things-- Leonard has a lot of diapers, no need to send in more. His outfits were misplaced-- they are sorry about that.
At the same day, I also found a note from one of the teacher-- she is leaving. I also knew that another assistant is leaving too. The new lead teacher is just onboard. Maybe these explains the chaos? (One friend makes a comment: that may be the reason, but still is not acceptable-- her standard is high!)
Since then, things start to run smoothly. Leonard came home with the same piece of outfits-- meaning they paid a lot of attention to his activities and changed him on time. His daily schedule starts to consist with his life at home. He is really getting use to daycare!
No comments:
Post a Comment